Tuckpointing Chimney Repair – Louisville Chimney Experts
The mortar on chimney exteriors generally lasts up to 25 years, and the best solution for replacement of mortar is chimney tuckpointing. When there are missing bits of mortar, the chimney system is exposed to moisture. If not addressed in a timely way, expensive chimney repairs may become necessary. Age isn’t the only reason mortar begins to crack and break off. Sometimes the elements are too harsh or there isn’t adequate protection against moisture. As a result, the mortar deteriorates prematurely.
Homeowners who take for granted that chimney masonry lasts a century or more often don’t realize the mortar is far more vulnerable than the bricks or stone. The entire chimney system is at risk, if repairs aren’t made sooner rather than later when mortar is crumbling. The chimney experts at Louisville Chimney Sweep & Repair, LLC are highly skilled at tuckpointing, which oftentimes means significant savings for customers. When tuckpointing alone can’t get the needed work done, a partial rebuild or full chimney rebuild is usually necessary.
What is Tuckpointing?
Tuckpointing is also sometimes known as pointing, spot pointing, repointing, and brick chimney repair. Tuckpointing is the removal of damaged mortar followed by replacement with fresh mortar between brick, block, or stone on the chimney. It is essential that tuckpointing be done by experts who use the correct materials and understand what to do, why to do it, and how to perform the work properly. The following are the basic steps, in brief:
- Ground out or route out old mortar at a uniform depth, creating ¾” to 1” mortar joint depth.
- Apply mortar in the grooves.
- Form grooves in the mortar.
- Mix mortar the same color as existing, original mortar, and fill in the grooves with it.
- Smooth out the mortar joint and compress it for a solid, professional, and smooth appearance.
Benefits of Tuckpointing
If repointing on a chimney is poorly done, your home could be devalued as a result of current appearance and/or future problems. A tuckpointing job done right can save you thousands of dollars in the long run. The following are more benefits of tuckpointing:
- Erosion and corrosion of the chimney is halted.
- The structural stability of the chimney is restored. If damaged mortar joints are ignored instead of repaired, the chimney will start to weaken, lean, and eventually collapse.
- There is renewed chimney protection against moisture, once the work is done. This is essential because when moisture gets in due to deteriorating mortar, water seeps into the masonry and can lead to spalling; efflorescence; interior stains on ceilings and wallpaper; growth of wood rot, mold, and mildew; and more.
- The alternative to tuckpointing is a total chimney teardown and rebuild. The high cost of chimney rebuilding can often be avoided with tuckpointing.
- As long as tuckpointing is correctly applied, the original condition of the chimney structure is restored.
- Proper tuckpointing results in a renewal of attractive aesthetics on the chimney and an increase in home value.
Contact Experts at Louisville Chimney Sweep & Repair
Has your chimney been inspected recently? Many times, homeowners find out that the mortar on their chimney is deteriorating because professionals discover the problem during a chimney inspection or chimney cleaning. Contact Louisville Chimney Sweep & Repair at (502) 410-4019 for all of your chimney needs, including expert tuckpointing.